Meal: Cube Steak with Mushroom-Sherry Sauce with Oven Sweet Potato Fries and Mary’s Zucchini with Parmesan
1 portion contains approximately: 533 calories - 38 g protein - 32 g carbohydrates - 6 g fiber
Ingredients (for 2 persons)
- Cube Steak Mushroom-Sherry Sauce
- 2 4 oz cube steaks
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 oz sliced mushrooms (about 1¼ cups)
- 1/2 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/8 tsp dried
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (you can leave this out if you do not want to have alcohol)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
- Oven Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- Mary’s Zucchini with Parmesan
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lbs zucchini (about 2 medium), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Cube Steak Mushroom-Sherry Sauce
- Sprinkle steaks with ¼ teaspoon pepper and salt. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add steaks and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium. Transfer the steaks to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add mushrooms, shallot and the remaining ⅛ teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are golden brown and release their liquid, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add thyme, sherry and broth; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Return the steaks (and any accumulated juice) to the pan and turn to coat with the sauce. Serve the steaks with the sauce.
Oven Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss sweet potato wedges with oil, salt and pepper. Spread the wedges out on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until browned and tender, turning once, about 20 minutes total.
Mary’s Zucchini with Parmesan
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and cook, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, until tender and most of the slices are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, sprinkle with salt and pepper; stir to combine. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve warm.