Meal: Chile con Carne
1 portion contains approximately: 500 calories
Ingredients (for 2 persons)
- 6 oz lean ground beef
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 14 oz canned peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 oz canned corn, drained
- 6 oz canned kidney beans, drained
- 4 oz vegetable broth
- Chili powder
- 1/2 whole wheat baguette or 2 whole wheat rolls
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it up with a spatula, until browned. Season with salt and paprika.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, chili pepper, and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans and corn and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt, paprika, and chili powder to taste.
- Serve the chili with a whole wheat baguette or whole wheat rolls.
- For a spicier chili, add more chili powder.
- For a thicker chili, mash some of the beans with a fork before adding them to the pot.
- Serve the chili with your favorite toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, or avocado.