What can I add to broth instead of salt for flavoring?

lilredridinghood

• Total Posts : 46
  • Reward points : 0
What can I add to broth instead of salt for flavoring? Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:37 PM (permalink)
Last week my broth was delicious.  I never have used table salt (makes my legs swell up).  Today I made a new batch of broth and it tastes what I imagine dishwater to taste like.  Found that out after I portioned and froze for the week.

What can I add to the broth that won't contradict the plan (as I use each carton for a few days) to make it tolerable?  I used different spices during the cooking process like before but this is not going to go down well and I want to head off disaster.

Thanks in advance!!!!

lilredridinghood

• Total Posts : 46
    Re:What can I add to broth instead of salt for flavoring? Tuesday, September 07, 2010 7:44 PM (permalink)
    Forgot...can't use MSG and the only extra ingredient I used was kale.

Last time I took baby carrots, spinach leaves, broccolli, red potato, and onion and added seasonings.  Everything was cut and as directed when I was done cooking I drained the broth and only used that.  This time I added the kale.  It took every bit of will power to consume 2 cups between lunch and dinner today as a snack.   If I don't do something it will have been a waste of time, energy, and of course money.  I know there's got to be a way to salvage it between now and my starting Phase 2.

Thanks again. 

Almased_nutritionist

• Total Posts : 2373
      Re:What can I add to broth instead of salt for flavoring? Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:15 AM (permalink)
      Hello lilredridinghood,

I love kale and never experienced a bad taste from it. Since this was the only thing you did different, I wonder if it could have been the storage of the kale that could have affected the taste of the broth. Kale will wilt and become bitter if left in a warm place for a long period of time. It's always good to look for fresh, green leaves that are smaller, more tender over the large, coarser ones.
      The taste of kale becomes stronger with prolonged storage.
      Did you use the whole kale leaves, including the tough stems? Maybe that could have affected the taste.

What did you use to flavor the broth? Instead of salt, you could use Mrs. Dash and other spices & herbs such as pepper, oregano, basil etc.

I hope any of that will help masking the bad taste.

Silke
      Almased Nutritionist

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages